The Upland Church of Christ has been in existence since February 25, 1940 when approximately 40 people met together in facilities rented from the Upland Womens Building at 590 North Second Ave. The history of the Upland Church of Christ is the shared stories of the lives of all the individuals who have been a part of the Upland congregation throughout the years.
By October 1944, the congregation had grown sufficiently that they were able to purchase a building of their own, a former mortuary located at 201 N. First Ave . The auditorium was enlarged to hold 150 people. Even with this renovation, two services were required to hold all the members of the congregation. This was the case for several years before the congregation moved to its current location.
The congregation purchased an extensive plot of land on Ninth St. during the early 1950s. Construction of the building that houses the congregation today at 331 W. Ninth St. was begun in August 1958. Most of the labor was provided by volunteers from the congregation. Six months later the building was finished and the congregation first met together in their new home on February 9, 1959. Due to the need for more space, a multipurpose building was added in 1986.
In the early 1970s, part of the property behind the church building was donated to Sunset Haven for the purpose of providing residential care for senior citizens. In 1977, Sunset Haven opened an assisted living center at this site. Many members from the Upland Church of Christ were active volunteers in its operation. In 1992, a skilled nursing facility was added through the combined fund raising efforts of the Upland Church of Christ and other congregations in the greater Los Angeles/San Bernardino area and the name changed to Christian Heritage Care Center. This facility was later sold and is now known as Heritage Court. Although this facility is no longer operated by members of the Church of Christ, Upland Church of Christ offers a video ministry enabling residents of Heritage Court to worship with us on a weekly basis and on the first Sunday evening of the month, meets with residents in the Heritage Court facilities.
Today the congregation is composed of people with a wide variety of backgrounds. As of January 2011, one member, Beverly Skaggs, has attended the congregation since it's inception in 1940. Many have found the congregation due to their life circumstances while others are descendants of the founding members . The group of people that comprises the Upland Church of Christ extends a warm welcome to all who would like to join us as we work, worship, and fellowship together.